The sweetest kind of house

Sugar house on Bragg Hill

Yesterday morning I poured the last of our maple syrup from Vermont on Tommy’s pancakes. This syrup comes from trees just up the hill from where we stay when we are there in the summer. I buy gallons of it when we’re up there, but it never seems like enough to get us from visit to visit.

It’s getting to be that time in Vermont, when the days are warm and the nights cold and the sap runs and is collected in sugar houses like this one to be boiled and boiled and boiled some more for syrup.

I am profligate in my use of maple syrup, putting it in everything from bread dough to granola, salad dressing, and cookies. But my very favorite use of it is on buttermilk pancakes. (Matt has been known to ask me if I’d like some pancakes with my syrup.)

Someday I’d like to take the boys to see one of these sugar houses in action, to sample the watery vague sweetness of the sap, to feel the waves of heat emanating from the small shack, to eat homemade donuts and pickles and hard boiled eggs and syrup-on-snow as my sister and I did when we were children. To taste springtime in Vermont.

For Wanderfood Wednesday at Wanderlust and Lipstick.

Like it? Share it:
Share on Facebook8Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon1,376Email this to someone

Comments

1. says

I have a container of Nova Scotia maple syrup in my fridge here in Korea. I am literally trying to “milk” every last drop from it.

2. says

I used to take my kids to a local sugar bush every spring. Now that they’re all grownup I haven’t been back in years.Instead I get my maple syrup fix from our grocery store, but perhaps this year I’ll head over to the sugar bush :)

3. says

Now this is something that I miss every year! I’m from Lanark County in Ontario, the maple sugar capital of the world. There’s nothing better than a visit to the sugar bush!

4. says

Oh wow, you just drew some nostalgia out of me from deep inside my bones. To be a kid again during springtime, when life pops up again. Great post.

5. says

Our family is addicted to the stuff especially since I make pancakes every Sunday morning – & that’s just the start of where it gets used in our house. I’m sure we go through a gallon a year.

As a kid we used to go in March when it was really muddy to the sugarbush as part of a school trip. Fun times – especially for kids.

6. Cindi @ Frugal New England Kitchen says

We enjoy Maple Syrup here in New England too and I enjoy using it to make Bubble Bread! My charming son-in-law’s from Vermont so we always stock up when we visit. Recently visited a sugar house up in New York State.